Yesterday, we looked at adding applications to your login items. There are other personal settings that you can specify from the Users & Groups area of the System Preferences pane: Login Options.
From the Login Options window, you can set the following options:
- Set Automatic Login to on or off – Allows you to bypass the login screen and automatically login using the specified user account. Setting this option to “On” is typically discouraged if anyone other than yourself has access to your computer.
- Set the display of the login window – Specify the login window to either display a list of users or users by name & password
- Show Input Menu in login window, which allows users to specify a different language keyboard from the login screen
- Show Password Hints – this option will display a password hint for each user account. The hint is setup at the time the account is created.
- Show Fast User Switching Menu As – This super handy feature allows you to quickly switch accounts from one user to another, while keeping all of the previous user’s applications and documents open in the background. From the drop-down list, you can chose how to display the user names (Full Name, Short Name or Icon)
- Use VoiceOver in Login Window – This option will cause your Mac to read out loud the options in the login screen.
- Network Account Server – This option allows you to specify what Open Directory Server or Active Directory Domain the user can access.
To Set Login Options
- Click the icon on the menu.
- Click System Preferences on the menu.
- Under the System area of the System Preferences pane, click the Users & Groups icon.
- Click the lock on the bottom of the screen and then enter your admin password.
- Click the name of user that you want to modify in the left pane.
- Click “Login Options” in the bottom of the left pane.
- Make your selections.
- Sync Google Contacts with your Mac’s Contacts application
- Read Web Pages Offline using Safari’s Reading List Feature
- Turn TextEdit into a Word Processor by Inserting Tables
- Create Links to an E-mail Messages in the Notes app