In a previous post, I talked about a third-party application called Glimmerblocker to prevent pop-up windows in Safari. The option to block pop-up windows is also available right within the Safari application itself.
In previous versions of Safari (pre-Safari 6), the Block Pop-Up Windows feature was available from the Safari menu but it has now been moved to Security pane of Safari Preferences.
Quick Guide: Block Pop-up Windows in Safari
- Choose Safari ➪ Preferences from the menu.
- Click the Security tab.
- Click the checkbox next to Block pop-up windows
Note: Some Websites (such as banks, Quickbooks online, etc.) require the use of pop-ups in order for you to accomplish certain tasks.
- Read Web Pages Offline using Safari’s Reading List Feature
- Sync Google Contacts with your Mac’s Contacts application
- Create Links to an E-mail Messages in the Notes app
- Turn TextEdit into a Word Processor by Inserting Tables