In a previous post, we looked at how to add Special Characters into your Mac documents by choosing Input > Special Characters and then choosing the character you wish to enter. You can also add the Input Menu to the menu bar as a menulet to provide quick access to the Character Viewer. This is especially helpful for those who prefer to manouever using their mouse or trackpack rather than by memorizing a keyboard shortcut.
Quick Guide: Add the Input Menu to the Menu Bar
- Click + System Preferences from the menu.
- Click the Keyboard icon.
- From the Keyboard tab, click the checkbox next to Show Keyboard & Characters Viewers in the menu bar.
- Click the Input Sources tab on top of the screen.
- Click the checkbox next to Show Input menu in menu bar. (Neglecting to perform step 3 will display only the keyboard sources & language icon).
- To launch Character Viewer, click the Input Menu icon on the menu bar and click Show Character Viewer.